Monday, May 20, 2002

day 77


Scouting in Korea

My father, who used to work as a professional scouter for the Boy Scouts of America in Detroit, recently asked what evidence I'd observed of Scouting in Korea. For the longest time I didn't see any evidence that it existed. Then, two weeks ago when I was on the subway with Tammy in Seoul, I saw a group of 30+ elementary aged boys and girls wearing uniforms that screamed Scouting. I walked up to one of the leaders, who was furiously herding the children down an escalator, expecting to ask him, as best I could, if this was a Scouting group when I noticed his hat read 'Boy Scouts' in English! Question answered.



Since then, several of my students have come to class wearing their Cub Scout uniforms. They look very sharp! Of course uniforms differ around the world which is probably why I didn't notice them for a while but now that I know what they look like, I can avoid them. The different badges, pins, neckerchiefs, and belts buckles make someone like me, who tries not get caught up in collecting frenzies, envious. I wonder where the local scout office is so I can rush over and stock up on souvenirs. I can only imagine how happy my father would be if I came home with a big box of Scouting trinkets. I can also picture the green, jealous faces of all the men in the carpentry shop at BYU, the other High Counselors in the stake, and every Scouter in Provo! Ha, ha.



[Note to self: confirm with the Bishop that it's only a sin to covet and not to cause someone else to covet.]

No comments: