Thursday, June 27, 2002

day 114


No more TV

I went to the Hyo-sin Sauna, a public bath in Chunchon, before class today. So relaxing. It's my second time there and my fourth time to a public bath since coming to Korea.



Yesterday was my 12th anniversary since coming home from my mission. Nothing more significant to me than simply noticing the coming and going of the date and marveling at the passage of time.



I got rid of my television and VCR a week ago yesterday. It's been a real security blanket for me since I've been here, something nice to come home to hand watch each night. Lately though it's become much more of a waste of time and I've wanted to just take it back to the school but was afraid I'd go into some kind of withdrawl shocks. I finally did it though and it's been one of the best decisions I've made in recent memory. Make all the arguments you want about the evils of modern television but I'll defend how it's gotten me through some pretty long stretches. Ultimately, for me though, it's been doing more harm than good. I'm sure I'll be able to outlast the urge to retrieve it (made easier since Carly took it for herself at my invitation).

No comments: