Tuesday, October 22, 2002

tuesday | 10.22.02 | korea | day 231




The efforts of feeble minds

A bizarre conversation with a coworker tonight stumbled onto the noble topic of profanity, specifically the "f" word. In typical academic fashion, he dismissed people who are offended by vulgar words by explaining how "vulgar" or "vulgate" originally referred to the common man and his therefore "innocent" common language. Horse-hockey.

One might then conclude this coworker, whose language itself is frequently peppered with offensive language, is not himself offended by any kind of profanity. Right? Wrong. He was quick to list the many reasons why he finds the "b" word inappropriate, not the least of which is the disrespect it shows for women. Of course his objections to this word are valid but I found it both laughable and aggravating that he would arbitrarily brush off some words while declaring others taboo. Perhaps my frustration is better directed at myself for my failure to voice my objections to the profanity that surrounds me.

Coincidentally, I had several minutes previously researched the "b" word in the dictionary as I believed it was the perfect word to describe another coworker. (As I write this I'd hoped to include the definition I found but it appears I've left it at school. Check back later for a more complete blog entry.)

Spencer W. Kimball said it best: "Profanity is the effort of a feeble mind to express itself forcibly."

No comments: