
Birthday lanterns
Originally uploaded by digitalnut.
After traveling to Everland, the largest amusement park in Korea, with my middle school students on Thursday, we all had the day off Friday for Children's Day on Friday. I took the bus to Seoul in the afternoon and met up with Jen and some friends to visit a large Buddhist temple in Seoul.
I was unaware of the birthday celebrations for Buddha's 2,550th birthday. And there was an enoromous crowd gathered under the beautiful, colorful lanterns. After being allowed to pass through the temple among actual worshippers, we joined the crowd outside for a concert.
We were amused by the selection of songs from the '60s being played by the electric band in English. The locals seemed to enjoy it too, though some of them seemed to have trouble clapping to the rhythm.
After the temple, we went to Itaewon for dinner at Pancho's. I had a delicious chicken chimichanga and satisfied perhaps the number one craving I have in Korea after home cooking: mexican food.
No comments:
Post a Comment